How to stop wasting time and finally start using it effectively.
The conditions that prompt to procrastinate.
Procrastination – one of the most negatively influential thing for the study or the work. It is a state when you just make an illusion of the hard work instead of actually working. For instance, when you watch movies or chatting with friends instead of writing essay even though you need it for tomorrow. You distract easily, do not truly focus on the task, and perform it reluctantly and slowly.
In reality, you damage your brain and waste your time when procrastinating. The problem is that you do not let the attention to concentrate on the study or work and, at the same time, you do not let it rest. It creates the constant tension that makes you feel exhausted and tired.
The predisposition to procrastinate correlate positively with the length of the delay. The longer the period between the start of the work and the reward for completing it is, the most likely the procrastination will take a place. As well, the next point is about the expectancy. If you are not sure that you can do it, you will not do your best to complete the task and vice versa.
The value is one more factor that can make you procrastinate. That means you do not want to work hard if you think that it is not worth or not interesting enough. In addition, if your ability to resist different distractions is weak, it will be hard for you to remain concentration on the writing papers or studying.
How to fight against procrastination
The truth is that almost every person all over the world is prone to procrastinate. However, it does not mean that all of them are the procrastinators unless they do it constantly. Luckily, people found the ways to stop procrastinating and continue to work or study effectively.
- Give yourself a time. If you force yourself to start writing thesis although you do not want to do it, you can complicate the situation. Just take some time to rest, to analyze the reasons for your procrastination, to find the positive points in that work. Maybe, you need to add or improve the reward for the completing.
- Break down the problem. For example, if you need to prepare a big presentation it is expedient to divide the whole work into the smaller pieces or stages. Create To Do List with the smaller tasks and check their status daily. Looking at the completed ones will make you feel better and will give you an inspiration.
- Try to make the work more interesting. Think about changing the place or finding the partner. It depends on the work you have to do and on your preferences.
- Do not underestimate the volume of work. Look at the things rationally. If you will try to do the big part of work in a little time, likely you will fail. Be realistic; take into consideration your abilities.
- Choose the high-density fun instead of the low-density. That means you can have a two minutes break every ten minutes and scroll your Facebook page, or you can have a thirty minutes break every two hours of work. In the second case, your brain will remain focused longer and rest more effectively.
- Perform the most unpleasant and difficult work first. If you are writing paper, write the draft first . Once you do that, it will be easier to arrange your next steps.
In conclusion, listen to your body. If it is easier for you to work or study at night, do it. If you feel that you cannot do it by yourself, ask for help. You are lack of inspiration – go to the trip or take a vacation. Do not exhaust yourself, remember about the reward, and have a pleasure from your work.